Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Dirgahayu Republik Indonesia !!! (Happy B'day Indonesia!!)

Today is 59th's Indonesian's National Day/Independence Day. Happy B'day my beloved country!

In general, 'Celebration' was supposedly meant to revive the values and meanings that have come together with the celebration itself. In this case, the Independence day celebration was meant to revive the historical values of the Independence day, i.e. patriotism, heroism, nationalism and also to appreciate the role of the Indonesian heroes in struggling for our Independence.

I just watched Indonesian channel showing the 17 August flag assembly in Istana Negara Jakarta -*my favorite program on every Independence day celebration*, 11 am o'clock (Singapore time). Oh, yeah, btw, I like to see the the flag-raiser contingent (Paskibraka) when they were on duty. *yeah, when I was a child I always wanted to be one of them, although I dislike doing those field stuffs and being exposed to sun rays - so, I just enjoy to be their audience, hahaha...*
What can I comment on the ID celebration is that: it could not really invoke the values that supposed to be conveyed. The assembly is way too formal - with its militarism style assembly - and did not try to get the involvement of the audiences. May be only the participants of the assembly could feel the heroism senses during the assembly, yet.. it does not work for the far-away audience - TV audience, like me. To me, the ID assembly on TV was just a 30-minute broadcasting of a formal militerism assembly that showed the perfectly-aligned contingents celebrating the ID.
May be I am quite sceptical, but... that's what I felt.

May be only the assembly participants like the Paskibraka members can appreciate the values of the ID celebration; as for them, to prepare for only that one-fine-day, they had to undergo a tough one-month training which could not be worse than what the heroes had sacrificed to gain the nation's independence.
Then, how about the audience? What could make them get involved in feeling the sense of the heroism?
Hmm.. that's a good challenge for the ID celebration's committee.

What could made me touched was when I heard an Indonesian national song accompanying the subsequent TV program showing a historical clip on the Indonesian heroes struggling in the battlefield.

"Tanah airku.. tidak kulupakan...
kan terkenang.. sepanjang hidupku...
biarpun saya... pergi jauh... tidak kan hilang dari kalbu...
Tanahku yang kucintai, engkau kuhargai...."

The song just suitted me well. It had invoked my nationality. It's just a song, yet... could affect me more than the ID assembly itself. Celebrating national day away from home country gave different sense. Sometimes it invokes the feeling of nationality more than when we are in home country. It does not depend on how happening the celebration is, rather, it is more on how we appreciate the meaning of the independence day itself.

3 Comments:

Blogger dils said...

huwekeke.. betul jar, betul!
Lagu itu benar2 bersejarah buat TA kita!
mari kita nyanyikan lagu itu, dengan birama empat per empat, mulai pada hitungan ke seratus koma sembilan satu! *wekekeke.. susah amirrr*

5:01 AM  
Blogger noe2l said...

Dilsky... patriotic songs.... have never failed to move me...

" Sepasang mata bola... dari balik jendela... "

*serem nggak sih =)...*

anyway, really miss those tunes..

10:26 AM  
Blogger dils said...

Shinta:
wekeke... yah, ketauan deh, ama itin kalo gak ikutan upacara... hihihi...

ampun bu guruuu...

Nunul:
Nul, lagu kalo pas kelaparan yg ini nih:
".. Sepasang mata sapi... dari balik wajan..."
hehehe

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

« Home