Thursday, April 22, 2004

My Robot broke down

My robot that I am working on, broke down today.
How come ? The story started with the FYP student that wanted his joystick become a plug and play application. Meaning, whenever the joystick is plugged to the robot, the joystick will be ready for use without running any interface program. So, I suggested to download his program inside the controller's EEPROM, using the analogy of other microcontroller that stores the program inside the EEPROM. That's how microcontroller work independently from workstation, that's the EEPROM storage.Well, we then tried to burn the program inside the robot's motion controller's EEPROM. Referring to the controller's manual, the function is "BN". It works !! Without running any interface program, the joystick is ready for use !Then, the problem came when corrections were to be made to the EEPROM. Again, using the microcontroller's principle, I thought the EEPROM could just be overwritten with a new program. But, it didn't work ! The new program was kept downloaded to the EEPROM, but again and again, still the old one was there.Hmm.. wondering why... my analogy was wrong this time... hehe...After a while looking up the manual, I found a command "Master Reset Controller". Ahha.... may be we can use this one !!The function spec is to "reset the controller to factory's default setting"."Ok, why not ?? Just try then !", I suggested the student. Tarra... executed, and tried. Well, it worked ! The old program was removed !I then walked around the room, leaving the student with his work. He did the trial with the controller's driver interface to manually command the controller, and "BUMM !!" A bumping sound suddenly surprised me. "Hey, what's that sound ?", I asked. Still haven't realized what's been going on. And once again, "BUMM !!!" hahaha.... the robot hit the most end of its axis.Oh well, there must be a certain damping parameter that has been deleted from the EEPROM during the master reset. Seems like the robot moved without any damping that hit its axis end.O well, not sure how to deal with it yet. Just wait my project officer to fix everything then, hehehe.... :S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Home